Since January 1, 2020, AB 5 has decimated California businesses’ ability to classify workers as independent contractors. The consequences of this new law are so far reaching that several major lawsuits have been filed and new supplemental laws were passed to lessen its impact.
Because physical therapists and physical therapist assistants provide care directly to patients as contractors, under current law, they can no longer be independent contractors and must be employees unless they meet one of two criteria, recently passed into law under AB 2257.
Join us for this important discussion to help business owners avoid misclassifying workers and heavy fines. We will educate independent contractors and the business entities that contract with them on recent developments that could potentially keep their contracts intact.
During this webinar, Simas & Associates, Ltd. will discuss:
- A summary of the application of the ABC test and Business to Business exemption and how to correctly classify contract workers
- Consequences of misclassifying workers
- AB 2257 impact on physical therapist and physical therapist assistant independent contractors
- Legal options that allow physical therapists and physical therapist assistants to work with business entities as independent contractors
Following this webinar, the participant will be able to:
- Understand and apply the ABC test in their business entity
- Gain understanding of the business to business exemption and how to utilize it.
- Gain understanding of the corporation exemption and how to utilize it.
- Gain understanding of the “Referral Agency” exemption and how to utilize it.
- Understand the benefits and burdens of having employees instead of independent contractors.
- Be knowledgeable about the status of independent contracting as a physical therapist.
6:00 – 8:00 p.m. Presentation and Q&A
Simas and Associates, Ltd. has proudly served as legal counsel to the California Physical Therapy Association since 2004. The firm has represented and advised hundreds of physical therapists and their practices in the highly regulated environment of health care regulation and compliance, licensing and investigations, provider audits and appeals, and employment compliance, wage and hour law, and litigation.
Steven L. Simas is the founder of the Simas & Associates, and practices in the areas of Healthcare Regulation, Professional Licensing and Regulation and Workplace and Employment Regulation.
Sasha G. Aguilar is an Associate Attorney with Simas & Associates practices in the areas of Healthcare Regulation, Professional Licensing and Regulation and Workplace and Employment Regulation.
2.0 contact hours or 0.2 CEUs
Instruction Level: Intermediate
Format: Lecture with on-line Q&A.
Target Audience: PT, PTA, and Students. Open to all Allied Health Professionals
Registration received by October 21, 2020
$25 APTA members
AB 5 FAQ
AB 5 Flow Chart
AB 5 Penalty and Risk Chart
EDD AB 5 Information and FAQs
Business to Business Information Chart
All cancellation requests must be received in writing – no exceptions. A full refund, less 20% service fee, if cancellation is received before September 9. No refunds on or after October 21, 2020.