With increasing legalization of both medicinal and recreational marijuana in the US, physical therapists will likely encounter more patients using some form of marijuana in practice. Therefore, it is vital for us as a profession to understand the applications and ethical issues regarding cannabis to better recognize our role in patient education. In this webinar, you will learn about who medical marijuana patients are and what other health care providers understand about patient use of cannabis. You will discover the overlap of cannabis use and physical therapy practice, particularly as it relates to athletes and to people who work in cannabis cultivation. You will also learn how to communicate with patients about cannabis, and investigate the ethical issues surrounding cannabis and physical therapy practice. Finally, you will learn how to critically evaluate future cannabis-related research.
Following this webinar, the participant will be able to:
1) Understand the limitations in research, health care practitioner perception and understanding of patient use of cannabis
2) Describe the overlap of cannabis and physical therapy practice related to athletes and to people who work in the cannabis cultivation industry
3) Provide evidence-based patient education regarding cannabis use
4) Evaluate the ethical issues surrounding cannabis and physical therapy practice
5) Critique cannabis-related research